Monday, March 18, 2013

NEEDED MORE ELVIS


I've found there is no way to judge the musical preferences of senior citizens. This became clear when I was enlisted to play music for a recent New Year's Eve dance. I have a decent collection of all kinds of music and went about developing a playlist of big band and popular dance music with a few waltzes and polkas and sambas thrown in. It didn't take long to find out at the dance, however, that my picks were all wrong. People kept yelling for more country, more Elvis, more “boot scooting” music. It upset me that people didn't like my selections and the night was a bummer. I had some country music but no Elvis or "boot scooting" music. Even though it was a trying night for me I foolishly agreed to do it the next year. In the meantime, however, I'd bolstered my music collection with those types of songs I'd been lacking and it worked better. Last year, however, they had a live musical group came in and they played a lot of big band favorites. Dancers seemed to be okay with that. Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment